Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ice Skating

On Saturday I went ice skating with my friend Carla and one of her teachers, Insuk. Nothing like pretending to be a professional figure skater to make you feel happy! (At least it made me feel happy! This is a throw back to a fantasy I had when I was 14 where I am an amazing figure skater and fall in love with another amazing figure skater...but then sadly he has a heart attack and I discover he has cancer...Have I always been so pessimistic about love?!)

Carla introduced me to "mini kiwis" that apparently grow in the Korean mountains. You pop the whole little thing in your mouth, peel and all, and they are "delicious"! (Koreans call everything "delicious"...They are always surprised when I explain, "actually, we don't use that word very often...Usually we just say 'Mmm, this is good'.") Edit: 14/09/09: Today my co-worker was describing these to me in Korean and she said they are말랑말랑 (malang malang) which means "squishy". I thought that was a really cute word so I'm going to try and remember it.
After figure skating, we went sightseeing around Chuncheon. It was great to be with someone who has a car. Chuncheon is so spread out, I haven't really seen much of it besides E-Mart (Korean IGA), Myeong-Dong (shopping area), and Kang De Hoo Moon (the university student hang out). We went to a golf course (which was cool, I've never been on a golf course before...) and then to a mountain, to see a waterfall. After that we went for Dak Gal Bi, a spicy chicken dish from which I ate the Gogoma (sweet potato) and cabbage.




1 comment: